Friday 23 May 2008

Lag B'omer

For those who don't know, this evening was the Jewish celebration of Lag B'omer. It gets its name from being Lamed Gimmel, a number, counting the days of the Omer: the number of days from Passover until Shavuot -from the Jews leaving Egypt until they receive the Torah on Mount Sinai.
It is celebrated with stories from Jewish history about Rabbis, singing, and most characteristically: a bonfire.
Tonight at my place of residence, Hillel House, it was amazing.
I saw the sparks from this huge bonfire going into the night sky and it was beautiful. The company was great, and I became so sad that I will be leaving this community behind. It is very difficult to come to terms with.
It is now 2am and things have settled down. I will be leaving in just a few days and this experience in England will become just a part of the past; a story of what I did when I was young, and possibly a dialogue on how I should or shouldn't have carried on from here.
On another note: the Italy story will be coming out not this week but sometimes soon; no rush since it is a filler, travel piece and not pressing news. The Poland piece isn't happening since I won't be there myself, which is understandable.
Idan Raichel is playing in London Monday night and I really wish I had known! Would have been a great way to end off my stay here... Staying in London Monday night and then off to the airport bright and early Tuesday.

No comments: